AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

N from alfalfa how much
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 7/31/2015 18:29 (#4709968 - in reply to #4709823)
Subject: RE: N from alfalfa how much

There used to be an Iowa State Extension bulletin that said that first year corn after established (probably more than two years of hay production IIRC) didn't usually respond to added nitrogen. That second year corn might respond a little or not at all to added nitrogen. That for the second year a spring nitrogen soil test should be made.

I raised passable corn in the 90s in a 6 year rotation, three years alfalfa, corn, beans, corn. I put down some MAP for the corn and beans and later added side dressing for the 6th year corn. Then I figured out how much money I didn't earn from corn the alfalfa years and that it was a lot more than the cost of 32% even when I got good checks for the alfalfa which didn't always happen. I had the farm broken into 6 patches so I had all three crops (with oats nurse crop the first alfalfa year) every year. The cost of 32% is a lot higher today, but even at this year's corn price its a lot higher than it was then. 92 cents a bushel one fall at the local elevator. LDP of 50 cents.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)