AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bent push rods and stuck exhaust valve on John Deere 757 ztrak with 25 hp Kawasaki FH721D-AS04-R
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JohndeereSully
Posted 7/8/2015 09:55 (#4667676 - in reply to #4667617)
Subject: RE: Bent push rods and stuck exhaust valve on John Deere 757 ztrak with 25 hp Kawasaki FH721D-AS04-R

steve c-il - 7/8/2015 09:25

Seems to me that it is very easy to blame the engine manufacturers for equipment design problems. John Deere has a long history of building quiet (for the operator) lawn equipment. They have also had major engine problems with Kohler, Onan, and now Kawasaki motors. I wonder why?
Our 757 has had the deflector update to help prevent the cut grass from building up in front of the rotating screen on the flywheel. Even though the manual informs how important it is to keep screen and the cooling fins clear and clean who bothers till they have problems? The new shroud does not prevent the blocking of the fins, it only makes it easier to to clean them. I thought it was a good upgrade and installed it my self. Should Kawasaki really have to eat the cost of a convenience item?
We have only put 350 hours on our 757 with no problems and expect it to last many more. Steve

I really do appreciate all of the comments. The mower has been a sweet mower. I know it will last many more years. This one has 1200hours on it and I plan to run it another 1200.

I do run Mobil-1 and a wix oil filter.

The one thing I have been reading that I could do better is run 91 octane gas. I run 87 without ethanol. People say 91 will run cooler.

I am religious about cleaning the mower. I blow it off every time I finish mowing and also scrape off any grass stuck under the deck. I also wash it off everyfew times I mow. (I allow the motor to cool off completely)

I make a point to clean out the shroud and fins on the motor...because my father in law had this same problem on the other side of the motor about 300 hours ago. Some good advise my dealer told me was to blow out the motor with it running. He said if you do it with the motor off it will just pack the grass in the shroud worse.

Steve-I do think it is john Deere responsibility to replace the part. If they took the time to design a new shroud the are already admitting there is a problem. They could give a $100 part to a customer that purchased a $10000 mower.

Tech5201-the fins weren't plugged(that I could tell) i wasn't looking for it but I went back and looked and not much grass in the shroud. I did notic that 2 of the head bolts were not very tight... I am not sure it that could cause a problem...the head gasket was leaking slightly on the back of the motor(not under the shroud)

I do plan on getting the new head and shroud from the dealer and installing myself...
I will keep you posted my results and give a link to the YouTube video that I make.

Thanks again for the comments... I am glad some of you had luck fixing this.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)