AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fungicide on corn. Insecticide too?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

case30
Posted 7/8/2015 12:45 (#4667952 - in reply to #4667192)
Subject: RE: Fungicide on corn. Insecticide too?

South Dakota
Couldn't agree more. I don't understand why some people are so against certain agronomic practices and products? I look at fungicide somewhat like seed treatments in soybeans----they do not seem to be pay every year, but in the years they pay, they more than pay for the years they don't work as well. We did not do any tassel fungicide last year because of commodity prices and that was a huge mistake. Like the above poster said, yield advantage is one thing (seems like 5-45 bushels is the range, but let's all remember farm side by side trials are not "statically significant because they are not replicated or controlled"), but we have found a guy can easily combine at least 1mph+ faster in the treated stuff because it is standing so well. I haven't done the math but I know it is an increase in productivity, which for us is very important.

We don't blindly treat every acre----We decide (aka plan ahead) and the fields that are planted thicker (poorer stands) corn on corn or will be harvested later usually get a tassel fungicide.

To the original posters question, We have toyed with the idea of puting on Cobalt or Hero with Headline Amp on our conventional acres/refuge acres. Does anyone have an opinion of this? My concern is that if we wait until after tassel so we can use crop oil, it seems almost too late to kill beetles that clip silks.

To answer the posters question, we are looking at the same thing as you----should we add an insecticide. We haven't decided yet and would appreciate any input.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)