AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Delayed Sidedressing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Scherffarms
Posted 6/30/2015 09:08 (#4653950)
Subject: Delayed Sidedressing

I have 20 acres of corn in two fields that is mostly sandy ground. I started off by applying the potash and phosphate pre plant and applying 30 units of N with the liquid starter on the planter. In my area the rain has been seemingly daily and much spraying and haying is very delayed. This week it will stop raining. I had planned on sidedressing the corn myself with an applicator from the co-op, but the corn has grown too tall and I am worried if I try to use my spray truck with drops (have never done that before) that i may knock some over. Most of the corn is knee to hip high and is up and down. The few wet spots of the field are knee high and very yellow after being underwater. Since I missed my opportunity to sidedress I am going to have it put on with drops by the Co-op and their big sprayer. How many units would you put on? I have been thinking about it for a while now and there seem to be two sides. Part of me wants to put on 100 units which should get me to my break even of 100 bushel and see what happens, but the other side of me wants to put on a bit more since the wet year is actually more of a help to this corn than a harm besides for delaying my getting the side dressing done. My yield goal was 135 bushel at the start of the year and I initially wanted to get around 135 units of N applied total. Does my corn need less or more nitrogen than 100 units sidedressed all things considered? Will try to get a few pictures up later, headed out to the shop now. I am unsure how the age of corn effects nitrogen requirements. I know most N is used towards the end of the season, but that is about all I know.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)