AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is Aerial Imaging Worth the Money?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

satman
Posted 6/29/2015 12:35 (#4652382 - in reply to #4652327)
Subject: RE: Is Aerial Imaging Worth the Money?

Langdon, ND
It very much depends on your situation. All imagery is helpful in my opinion but it needs to be handled correctly in order to be efficient. To start if you and your consultant understand your land well then using imagery is one of the best tools you can use if you have the equipment to VR apply what you want and the understanding of how too. Just like using other data, if you don't know how to interpret and use it to your situation its just a picture. I would recommend using it along with yield data and other data you may have. You would be very surprised what they can show together and what they see different. For instance you might have an area that always shows poorer yield yet shows high vegetative biomass from the image. That would show that there is potential but some management decision may need to change. Of course timing is key as you mentioned. Many times by the time you see a change it is too late, sometimes not. Once again depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Remember that imagery is not all about in-season and can be used for years to come just like yield.

All in all if you and your consultant are ready and he's done this before with some experience go for it. I would say aerial isn't the only option most likely. Satellites can show you what you want too with usually less cost but the resolution is lower usually. Then again you might not need high resolution. For large fields its not needed really since you can't apply the product to the resolution or make decisions based on such a small area. Something to be concerned about from an agronomy point of view. Also sats can go back in time since many groups provide imagery from past years if you are more in the curious stage just a thought.

If you'd share what you are trying to do exactly and what he is providing I'm sure some more insight would follow.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)