AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beginner strip till question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greg in NCIA
Posted 6/25/2015 08:11 (#4645015 - in reply to #4643712)
Subject: RE: Beginner strip till question

North Central Iowa
I've been strip tilling my corn on bean acres and doing custom strip till work for eight years now. I'm using Dawn Pluribus units on a Buffalo cultivator bar behind an Elk Creek caddy. The strip till bar is twelve row. I started with a twelve row planter, but after doing custom work for customers with eight, twelve, sixteen, and twenty four row planters and always having repeat business, I went to a sixteen row planter as well. With RTK guidance the only place I have any problem is one field with 14% slopes. I had trouble staying on the strip on that one even when the bar and planter matched. There's just a lot of implement drift on 14% slopes. Fortunately it's a very limited amount of acres, so I just do the best I can. Implement guidance would never pay for itself on this small field.

As far as fertility goes, I soil test and use maintenance + rates. It yields comparably to my conventional tilled and fertilized acres. I haven't gotten comfortable yet with corn on corn strip till so I still conventional till those acres.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)