AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hopping up an older dell precision T7500
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 6/15/2015 11:49 (#4627762)
Subject: Hopping up an older dell precision T7500

We buy used workstations every time we get "new" PC's and they have proved to last a long time and right now we have 2 T7500's that do pretty well. Last winter I upgraded a couple of older laptops with the farthest I could go with a processor and solid state drives and it pretty much made them like new. They weren't cheap when new so it seemed like a good move over buying a cheap newer laptop. So, I'm thinking about our workstations in the same way and the possibility of failing mechanical hard drives (they will eventually and we do back up but.....).

Has anyone just swapped in SSD into an older computer (SATA interface) and did it turn out to be a good thing?

I'm also only 12GB towards the 192GB max ram the workstation can handle and I think I can upgrade from the E5530 processor pretty cheap though the longer I wait, the farther I can upgrade for the same price. I don't think processor power is really an issue for me anyway - the OS sees it as 16 separate processors and I'm sure I rarely use all of them. On the other hand RAM is always handy (maybe 192 GB is a little much) and the fast access time of the SSD should make boot ups and software starts much faster.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)