AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farm Bureau freebie
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 5/22/2015 09:24 (#4585037 - in reply to #4584702)
Subject: RE: Farm Bureau freebie

Southeast Wyoming

Jeff Outwest - 5/22/2015 05:07

Agriculture as a whole is getting attacked out here in California due to the drought.  People are so far removed the farm, they have no idea where or how their food gets to them.  Anytime we as a group in production agriculture can mention even the word "farm" in a wholesome patriotic or positive way, we all win.  Media does Agriculture no favors nor does Hollywood.  Look at "The Bachelor";  how many of us, outside of our minds look like or act like that fella?  Our voice is shrinking in DC and every statehouse in the nation.  We all need to help educate "the public"  as to what we do.  If you think that "they" will never shut down our industry.  A simple spotted owl killed the shut down the forests, in the west.

And littering your windows with an piece of plastic with the word "farm" cut into and defacing an image of the American flag is that wholesome patriotic positive way by which we in agriculture all win?   Or did some fast talking promotions guy smile on his way to the bank?

Good luck with that.  I never have been much into window litter, trinkets and mementos, their appeal seems to fade pretty fast.  It seems to me that feeding a hungry person is more effective than a fading bill board with a picture of feeding a hungry person.  In other words, substance rather than promotion.

To each his own.

It must be "just me" but I find that image, defacing the flag to insert a promotion message, offensive and a negative representation of the "farm bureau".  Yes the organization does great things for agriculture at times.  At times it is just self centered, show off people seeking the lime light at the expense of the positive message of agriculture.  For me, the image may have worked had the image blended the promotion to the flag, but to abruptly cut through the flag sends the wrong message, the message we are trying to overcome, the message that we are cutting into the fabric of America for our own greedy gain.  The symbolism is huge as I see it.  If we must have window litter, I would much prefer an image of agriculture at the base of the flag unfurled on a pole in the breeze.

But I still do not see how window litter tells the story, or even begins to.  Quietly give the money to a local food bank to help those who are hungry.  More people will probably notice/appreciate that than will notice/appriciate the window litter.

So the "spotted owl killed the shut down the forests, in the west"?  I assume that was a topo 

Good luck. 

Edited by Gary Lyon 5/22/2015 09:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)