AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A torn meniscus
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Southern Farmer
Posted 5/18/2015 19:13 (#4578444)
Subject: A torn meniscus

West Texas

I've made several comments on Agtalk concerning the prompt treatment of Veterans by the VAMC when they outsource the medical procedure.
After hobbling on a torn meniscus in my right knee for the past 2 1/2 months, I went to the hosp this morning at 5:30 AM, registered and was shown my room just after 6 AM. Got to totally strip and put one of those funny gowns on. The nurse came in, updated their files, started an IV and said she would be there when I came back from surgery. At 7AM they rolled me down to recovery room for more conversation. The anesthesiologist was very concerned about the permanent trache in my neck. Tried to tell him that he could tube just like anyone else except he would have to put the tube in the hole in my neck instead of down my mouth. He finally decided that he would rather give me a spinal block instead of that. OK by me. Was wheeled into the surgery room, given the block and then laid there while they worked on my knee. Tried to get them to remove the sheet hanging in front of my face so I could watch but they copped out by saying that they didn't want to contaminate the knee with anything from my face, nose or mouth. After the surgery, four of them gathered around and moved me back to my bed and off to the recovery room we went. Stayed there until I could wiggle both feet. (sure was a weird feeling). Then up to the room we went and in a short while the Dr came in bringing photos of what he found and fixed inside the knee. To my untrained eye, that tear in the meniscus looked like a recreation of the Grand Canyon. After badgering the nurse, she finally told me that if I could walk to the door and back to the bed she would remove the IV. Made it but sure had my doubts before I got back to the bed. We finally got discharged just before 1PM.

For all the complaining that I have done concerning the VA and their out sourcing, I have got to say that this stop in the Scenic Mountain Medical Center today was a very pleasurable experience. Could not have had better service, nurses or Drs. The floor nurse, recovery nurse and operating room nurse were very competent and professional. The anesthesiologist could not have been any better and Dr Franks has my total support.

The VA's method of outsourcing and then micromanaging everything doesn't make much sense to me but it's their game and there ball so we'll have to do it their way.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)