AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

WiFi Thermostat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

towman2000
Posted 5/17/2015 09:17 (#4575175)
Subject: WiFi Thermostat

SouthCentral WI
So long story short. Got an ex mother in law that I try to take care of that lives an hour away from me. 90 years old, memory issues, stills lives in the old farm house, not sure how much longer she will be able to stay there, etc.
All last year we (mil and family) have had an issue with the temp in the house. It's to hot, the furnace doesn't blow air the moment she turns the thermostat up, the furnace runs and shuts off, the thermostat is moving by itself (all 4 of them)
I've tried everything. Twice there were actual issues with the furnace. That becomes my concern. When is there an actual issue an when is it just an attention issue. Last week it was 70 in the house and she wanted it warmer and she ended up calling three different people before the son finally got there and found she was switching the thermostat. (again ) I've tried simple rotary thermostats. ( they move by themselves, so she tapes them in place, then they won't turn when she wants the heat higher)
So I've decide to put a cellular myfi (wifi / cellular phone internet) in her house and put a wifi thermostat that I can operate from my phone and also be able to see the temp in the house.
Here's my plan... I can use a straight talk (verizon verison) mifi (about 60.00 dollars) and load it with a 15/month card with 1 gig of data. Then I thought of this thermostat
CyberStat CY1201WF Programmable Thermostat

The issues?
The cyberstat reports to the manufactures web site and then you go to that web site and log on to your acct/ thermostat and read/ control the thermostat. No manufacture web and you end up with a fancy overpriced gizmo. Not sure how I feel about that.
How do I keep Mil from playing with the mifi? If she thinks it has something to do with the heat, she will be playing with it.

Any other ideas? Also is there any (cheap) ways to monitor the actual fuel oil furnace? fan rpm sensor, fire box temp, oil level . Something that you can monitor remotely through the phone.

Of course then the question becomes , what will be the next dilemma?

As I read what I typed, I wonder if it is time for her to move into an assisted living, as much as she and I would both hate that.
Towman

Edited by towman2000 5/17/2015 09:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)