AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

33000 in the ground, one at a time
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Chuck WI
Posted 4/26/2015 21:31 (#4539813 - in reply to #4538273)
Subject: RE: 33000 in the ground, one at a time

I will try to answer a few questions tonight yet, the birthday party was a big success with around 100 in attendance, they ate a whole hog.
Our berry plants come from Nourse farms in Massachusetts. A berry plant needs a cold period to bring about blossoms, that is why Florida and California have an annual strawberry crop.

Our main varieties are Honeoye, Cavendish and Jewell. We have Wendy also but are looking to replace it with Galleta, supposedly it has better plant quality and larger berries. We also have some Flaverfest that we have planted.
33,000 is right around 4 acres for us. We are on 42 inch centers and around 20 inches between plants.
These are all fresh market berries with around 70 percent pick your own and the balance sold already picked. We hire local kids to do the picking, I think we have 24 hired for picking this year, they get payed by the pound and can make up to $20 per hour.
We do not take orders for berries, we pick from 7 to 11 am and sell till they are gone, any left at the end of the day go to the winery for our popular strawberry wine.
Mrs B, the runners we do not pick off, we pull them into the row with the cultivater and when the row is filled in we cut the ones that come into the middle off with the tiller. We do pick the blossoms off the planting year.

Dave, as of right now the berries look good, I have no reason to believe they won't be good.

Chuck
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)