AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SMS and prescriptions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

00rooster
Posted 4/25/2015 19:40 (#4537676 - in reply to #4536870)
Subject: RE: SMS and prescriptions

If you are only doing VR with one product there is no need to grid at all.

The current state of technology allows us to only run one prescription, but you can have multiple LAYERS to that single prescription. Each layer controls a single product. So you can VR multiple products off of one prescription, but each product needs its own layer, and ALL layers have the same boundaries....Making a prescription a grid gives you a lot of boundaries, and it allows each grid block to have its own individual numbers for each product. So you can adjust your seeding rate based on irrigation coverage, and you can base fertilizer on soil tests or soil types or anything else. So each individual grid is its own little zone, instead a massive zones that you have now.

I have got in the habit of making many of my prescriptions in 50 ft grids, because its gives me the option of having my seed, starter fertilizer and nitrogen all independent of any specific boundary lines. I do soil tests on "management zones" and I base my seeding rate on topography, or irrigation coverage.

This spring I changed direction on my rows and ended up having half of a pass on soybean stubble, and the other half on corn stalks. It allowed me to VR my dry fertilizer based on my management zones, and my Anyhydrous based upon previous crop. They only catch....is that I haven't found a way to designate the rate on the layers without manually assigning them...one 50ft grid block at a time.

The size of the grid is based upon your own needs for how much resolution you want. A field with low variability might get by with 100 or 200 ft grids, while an extremely variable field might get down to 50 or 30 ft blocks....its up to you. But your machine is split between two grids, your controller will probably always use the larger number.

When you are importing data like a yield map a grid helps to take the noise out of the map, and it will give you those boundaries.

Edited by 00rooster 4/25/2015 19:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)