AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

whats up with wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 3/30/2015 16:03 (#4486645 - in reply to #4486570)
Subject: and winterkill.

Visited with crop adjusters again today.. are we going to fail part of the field or the whole field?  They are working within line of command from above.. There are parts of the field that survived.. what do you do about that?

They were talking about pretty heavy reports of winter kill / freeze damage.. and yet.. not getting a lot of calls in yet.. not sure what to do yet..  It's patchy.. to localized heavy spots.. There was a Bad period of conditions that absolutely nailed certain fields.. Not a Single reason but a number that added up.

Well?  Are we gonna drag this out..? and screw up the next crop also?  How do I fertilize?  What about weed pressure in the fried parts where there is no cover?  All to save.. 15..20.. 25 bu wheat under a pivot.. in area's that IF RELEASED could still do.. full season irrigated beans.. or Sorghum..  Is it worth it to try to save 20 bu wheat?  The MAJORITY of the Pivot isn't going to do 3 bu.. it's TOAST.

We're gonna mess around here and screw the pooch on the next crop if we do not hurry up and decide what we have here.. Yes this plant can tiller.. but it's not going to tiller across 30' to the next row that survived..  Well I'm gonna get called on the carpet if I release a whole pivot.. but.. I see your point.  100 acres are fried.. 17 acres out of the remaining 25 are somewhat acceptable.. but 8 or so of that is patchy fried.. a lot of hassle to try to save.. half a truck load of wheat.  

arrrghhh. 

Sounds like it's worse up in NW Kansas...???

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)