AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

$3 corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jpartner
Posted 3/25/2015 17:51 (#4476656 - in reply to #4475315)
Subject: RE: $3 corn

MattNWOH - 3/24/2015 22:09 How much is your newsletter? Isn't that where the real money is? If you're as smart as you think you are it'd be worth every penny to an agtalk member.

There are many, many, many people here that are smarter than I - even most if not all of the people that I work with directly are smarter than I.  But being smarter isn't always the answer is it?  I know that there are many, many very smart people here, but if the mental capacity is all that is required, why do these really smart people ever need to call a JD tech to come out and address a problem on their new tractor?  Or the first time they climbed into that brand new "R" Deere tractor and couldn't get it gear without one of these "lowly" uneducated people showing them.  How about the person earning minimum wage at the cellular store that helps you turn on your smart phone and shows you how to use it?  Then setup your voicemail for you because you couldn't?   I personally have met many a person with a very expensive degrees that are really, really smart - so smart that they know it all and are not open to anything new because they know more than you.  AND when they find out your a farmer - well heck, you automatically know nothing - yet if you lined up 10 farmers, and 10 of these book-smart people and put them in some tough situations outside of both their disciplines that required thinking out of the box, I know I would put my money on the farmers every time.

I do have a question though.  I wonder why it is that those of you that are so adamant that this sort of thing can't exist and haven't lifted a single finger to determine whether you are correct or not, felt the same way when the first agricultural chemical came out to control weeds?  "I have used nothing but iron for years to control weeds, and now we are going to take a mix a quart of some liquid with water and spray it, and its going to replace my moldboard plow?" I bet there was many a person that said NO WAY!!.  How about VRT technology or auto steer when it was first rolled out 20 years ago...how many people said "No Way" with that ever work.  And how many of those same people today stop the planter if the autosteer isn't working and call the tech?  You can still plant without guidance but...... OR how about the first BT corn? The plant is going to kill the bugs on it's own, and its going to yield more too?  No way, it will never work.  Yet, once we got by the initial reaction, and actually seen it work, maybe read it in a magazine, slowly it was adapted and is wildly accepted now.  Accepting new ideas can be really hard, they may not work for you, but that doesn't mean they don't contain merit.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)