AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Moderators
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

johns_79
Posted 2/28/2015 20:19 (#4421597 - in reply to #4420430)
Subject: RE: Moderators

Windom, MN
I wasn't going to post anything on this but I do have some observations about this site.

1. There is a lot of good information here. Farmers sharing their experiences for someone like me who has been around the farm his whole life but just started on my own land is a valuable tool. And the price is right too. I have picked up a lot of ideas and have fixed a lot of things just by coming here and seeing if anyone else has tried what I want to do or had the same problems.

2. The moderators are different here. Granted, it is their place and we have to follow their rules. I don't know any of the moderators, but in my limited experience with them I don't think they like being challenged at all or take constructive criticism. About a year ago I had an idea to improve the site, so I created a post asking if it would be possible to do what I was asking and gave the reasons why I felt it would make the site better. I thought is was well written and I did not attack them at all. My post was removed, and I never received an e-mail or any explanation. I felt this was handled poorly. All they had to do was say something like the software we run won't let us do that or we have tried that and it won't work or even we don't feel that way. Even an e-mail would have been okay, but instead it was just removed with no explanation. So I guess I will keep my ideas to myself and not ask for anything from them. But in their defense, this site has exploded in the last few years and maybe it has become more of a job moderating than a fun hobby that it was a few years ago when there was less traffic.

3. One way that this site is like all other forums I visit is the way trolls act. It's like some people just have to be in a fight all the time and love baiting certain people into a trap. It's funny how it works, and I try not to feed the trolls. Sometimes it takes a lot of restraint not to type something back at an outrageous statement, but most of the time I am able to not reply. I really haven't gotten to know anyone on here personally but I have made up my mind on a few posters here who I would consider the trolling type. Those guys just lose credibility to me, and I really don't take anything they say seriously or place any value in it. I don't know how some are able to be online as much as they are either. I usually dedicate about a half hour a day here going through posts seeing if I can help someone. Some people have to be here all day, which I guess is fine, it's their life and time and they can use it however they wish.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)