AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Timber thinning
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bob1968
Posted 1/28/2015 12:37 (#4344782 - in reply to #4344699)
Subject: RE: Timber thinning

I'm not questioning the price. This guy has done several timber harvests for me and has always been fair and honest and meticulous in his work. He knows what it costs to operate his machinery. If I get the wrong guy in there he could damage or remove trees that should be left. What little bit more that I might get paid now could cost me many times over down the road. My question was wouldn't the trees be worth more to me than $2 per ton for organic matter and nutrients if there was an economical way to kill the trees and leave them on site. If I have a beef at all it is with the pulp mill who is not paying enough for the product for both the timber harvester and the landowner to make a decent profit. I'd never sell straw or stalks for $2 per ton. In ag if one crop isn't paying enough you switch to another crop until the buyer has to pay up to get his desired crop grown. Thinking I can kill the worst of the deformed trees now and have the forester check it out in a year or so and I can come back and kill more trees as necessary until I have the proper density.

Edited by bob1968 1/28/2015 12:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)