AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planters-red vs green
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

KenC
Posted 11/20/2014 09:30 (#4189664 - in reply to #4187711)
Subject: I went from white to red but...

Jefferson, SD
I was struggling to get the seed sizes I wanted back in 2011. The biggest draw back to the white is that you need to switch plates when the seed size varies, adjust the air pressure each time, and sometimes you can't add the next hybrid to the boxes because you need to stop and switch plates.

So, I researched planters for several months, I've always been happy with the white except for the plate issue but I had never had another planter so.....I decided to go with the CIH 1250. I really like the flexibility to put any seed size you want in and maintain the same settings and once I learned how to run all the controls, it has been a really trouble free planter. It is hydraulic drive so that was a big change too but I like the ability to vary populations in irrigated fields.

Here is the but....I've done lots of tweaks, talked with experts at CIH, friends with the same planter, I cannot get the spacing as good as the white. Is the spacing good? Yes but, it's not as good as the white was so it's hard to be content. I have a couple other things I'm going to try for next year to continue to improve plant to plant spacing. My plants per acre are very good, it's the plant to plant spacing that I struggle with. With some experience and knowing how to tweak things, the white is as close to perfect as I've seen.

I will add that I have a neighbor with a kinze with finger meters who sends the meters in every year that has excellent spacing and boy is that a simple machine. He doesn't go above 32,000 so I don't know if that would be true at 36,000 and above or not.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)