AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

combine dilemna
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

1156versatile
Posted 10/30/2014 11:56 (#4152108 - in reply to #4151919)
Subject: RE: combine dilemna

Strathcona, mn
Call me crazy but since I got a bagger my harvest labor issues are almost non existent. No more trucks, finding help, combines sitting, etc... Now I run 2 or 3 combines and one cart and we never sit. This year I left bins empty in favor of bags just to keep harvest running smoothly. It's not for everyone but they sure helped streamline my operation. When you don't have a great crop don't buy the bags or let them sit in a pallet in the shed. Very little capital overhead. 2 of us can average a semi loaded out of the bags in 10 minutes. A custom trucker gives me a break because he knows his drivers won't sit when they come to pick up loads, almost pays for the bags. I own one semi and it is getting sold. In the grand scheme of things it is cheaper to hire the trucking done in the off season than having 3 semis and finding drivers for harvest season. We have cut as many as 365 acres of beans in a day with 2 combines and never had a truck in the field. They don't solve the equation with high moisture crops but it does buy you time to dry at a more convenient time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)