AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Phipps blog-starting in farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

1156versatile
Posted 10/30/2014 10:51 (#4152048 - in reply to #4151573)
Subject: RE: John Phipps blog-starting in farming

Strathcona, mn
This topic strikes a nerve with me. It is possible! For most it is not, for some who have the drive to succeed it is. Most do not want to and refuse to work hard and smart enough to make it work. Any one who thinks they are going to start with nothing is dillusinall. Yet it is possible.

Most who think they started from scratch have some family that owns land that rented to them or let them borrow a line of equipment or.... On and on. I can say I started from scratch. Yet that is a lie also. I started a side business when I got out of college that eventually turned into a full time farming occupation. Did it take outside income, yes. I am 35 years old and been full time self employed for 13 years. I have full time farmed for 7 years. Everything I have done in life has helped me get here, everything!

It takes experience to start farming, either working for others or trial and error. It takes an opportunity, some never get it and some can't see an open door to step through. It take dedication, working hours and in conditions some think are appalling. You have to be smart, no when risk is appropriate and no when it is foolish, learn from small mistake so big ones don't cut you off at the knees. It takes passion, knowing that every day ain't going to be great days but living for the good ones. It takes drive, being willing to do what it takes, even relocating if it achieves your goal. It takes foresight, you have to have an idea of where you are going, you can't walk around randomly through life.

There aren't many out there that have done it but it is possible. I am more than willing to share my experience with those that will listen in hopes of sharing some key things that got me started. I've tried to help other young people get started but almost all are not willing to give it what it takes to get going. Either they think they are too smart to have to work hard or are willing to work hard but aren't talented enough to do it smart. I have found one high school senior who is working with me who has what it takes. The kid is just good at everything he does.

I've been very fortunate to see some open doors and walk through them. They've led me into an awesome journey. So far I've been able to support a wonderful wife and 5 great children. May it all change some day, you bet. For now I'm just going to keep on. Oh and I don't grow 5 acres of vegetables, I do row crop and cereals for a living. Not that there is anything wrong with specialty farming, for some it is their niche that allows them to farm.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)