AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Phipps blog-starting in farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bad farmer
Posted 10/30/2014 06:53 (#4151687 - in reply to #4151573)
Subject: RE: John Phipps blog-starting in farming

no welfare payments on this farm!!!!!!!!
it upsets me and dissappoints me both when farmers say there is no chance for a start up farmer. everyone wants to blame it on taking too much money, but i will tell you its not hte money its the hard work. there is no such thing as luck but those who make bad decisions call it bad luck. most established farmers are where they are because of hard work, yes planning is hard work too. sleepless nights thinking about when to market grain or produce, taking the extra steps to keep the bank on path with them. and oh yes the long hours. many old and young will tell you it never penciled to buy land and grow without subsadising it with hardwork. some may have had previous generations hard work and planning help them get started but as a father i want my daughter to work for what she has, and figure out how to build it farther. yes in america we punish success. it is easier for the little guy then the wealthy guy on paper, but the wealthy guy knows how to do it and knows what works, and has confidence that it will work. the wealthy guy is in a higher tax bracket, asuming more risk, and is mathmatically at a lower chance of growing acres but this doesnt stop him cause he is confident. to the little guy who is waiting for the right time when he is entitled to get to buy a farm that pencils, watch out cause the other guy will buy and rent every farm you see like that. it all boils down to who wants to work hardest and smartest. we all have the same chance, who is going to risk what they have to play the game.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)