AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bearing problem!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

headerpuncher
Posted 10/23/2014 21:27 (#4142179 - in reply to #4142054)
Subject: RE: Bearing problem!

Ea. Washington
I can see where the belts slipping could build heat in the bearing and shaft. Shaft is pretty short but could get longer with heat. Several thousands expansion in the shaft could cause a side load on that short shaft. Quality bearings are never expensive. On those light duty bearing flanges to allow them to line up after tightening lock collars loosen the flanges and rotate shaft to allow them to line up as stated above. Better yet tighten the lock collars first, rotate shaft then tighten the flanges.
In looking at the picture it looks like an economy way to build a jackshaft. The inside flanges are welded to the pipe and then the pipe is welded to the frame. If it isn't warped out of line it should be. A better set up could be a sturdy flat iron 3/8 or better x 4 either welded or bolted to the frame and a new shaft mounted on two pillow block bearings. Same rules to tighten bearings apply. I guess it's our job after we buy this equipment to modify or fix it so it will work. The manufacture evidently has a bean counter who has more to say than the designers or builders. The whole set up looks kind of light duty to me.

Edited by headerpuncher 10/23/2014 21:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)