AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sickle drive on a John deere 930 flex head problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

9600Sidehill
Posted 10/22/2014 21:29 (#4140610 - in reply to #4140303)
Subject: RE: sickle drive on a John deere 930 flex head problem

Idaho
I had the same thing happened on my 930R this past harvest. I went through two arms and two of the pieces that taper down and attach to the ball joint. I think I finally got it figured out...

First time it happened I chalked it up to the nut not being tight enough that attaches the arm to the wobble box causing slop but soon realized my ball joint on my sickle was out. I didn't think to check that because that was a brand new sickle less than 100 hours ago. So I replaced the arm and the ball joint and torqued everything to specs. Ran it for about 15 minutes and checked everything and all was well. Hour later the bolts broke holding the arm to the sickle. I replaced the arm because it was pretty much ruined along with the piece that mounted it to the ball joint. I then put in longer bolts and put stovers on the back side and that seemed to fix it.

I honestly think there is some issues with the cast iron arm that the bolts thread into. I don't remember what the torque spec was but it is on a decal right by the wobble box and the one time it almost felt like it was stripping the threads out of the cast arm. Putting longer bolts and stovers on seemed to help. I have just a tiny amount of play in the wobble box and actually brought it to the dealership and they said that was normal.

Long story short try putting longer bolts in with stovers on the back side.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)