AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fencing along timbered creek
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

tj33
Posted 10/19/2014 23:34 (#4136072 - in reply to #4135775)
Subject: RE: Fencing along timbered creek

I think this is a deep subject, literally. I am sure other posters have different situations than I do, but if I build fence in river or creek bottoms it will have heavy gauge barb wire and steel posts in swift areas. I have had 1/2 mile laid flat with t-post and light gauge barb wire, t-posts and all. Its a bitch getting it back up out of mud, covered with leaves and debris. Also the light gauge stuff rots quickly if not clean in my area. This means wet leaves still on wire. The heavy gauge red brand type wire is the only wire I will use if it ever has to be repaired because of floods or limbs. I also only use steel posts, in swift areas. I have one place where the river goes over a small waterfall of about 3ft and comes straight across my farm instead of making 90 degree turn of low water path. Every piece of debris and log in river hits my fence straight on. I've never had a steel pipe lean. Not even in 2011 when the river went up and down several times without getting to normal level. I'm sure everyone's situation is different, but do not know why anything other than steel would be used on fences. I don't know about high tensile but want barbs for cows. My fences get 20ft under water and get pushed both ways depending on whether river or creek is hitting them. Best thing for me is when water covers top of my posts so everything floats over wire.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)