AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seizure Episode??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

denny-o
Posted 10/19/2014 12:47 (#4134926 - in reply to #4134762)
Subject: RE: Seizure Episode??

Michigan - Saginaw County
Let me assume that the docs at the hospital covered all the usual bases.
Let me kind of go through the probabilities in increasing likelyhood:
1 Yeah, you could have had an arrythmia - but being first time and being that symptomatic (hard) with negative testing it is unlikely
2 And it could have been hypotension from sudden emptying of a bag (bladder or bowel - you did not give any details) decompressing the omentum, again not highly likely
3 Could have been a petit mal seizure - not enough details to even give this one a rating
4 Could have been vasovagal syncope - a bit higher probability
And that kind of exhausts the usual medical mind

So now, we need to change gears in the old brain box
Two more likely causes come to my unusual mind
1. Baraney Maneuver
and
2. Visual Migraine

Baraney Maneuver is where you tip the head forward and then back while turning it quickly to one side. It spins the fluid in the inner ear (cochlea) and dislodges tiny particles (probably calcium, just like in old water pipes) and one lodges between projecting nerve fibers (hair cells) pushing them apart. These fibers float in the fluid so that as we walk, bend, etc. and the fluid moves, it senses the motion of the head and signals the spinal cord which way to shift your center of gravity to keep from toppling over. Get a couple of hair cells firing crazy because they are being pushed and it is 'katey bar the door'. It can be severe enough that folks just fold over and vomit.

Now, Visual Migraine is a tiny, tiny blood clot of the visual artery. It happens instantaneously, no warning, and no apparent cause and it is normally unilateral (one side). These clots tend to dissolve within minutes, sometimes seconds. The most common symptom is dimming of the vision or even complete loss on one side. You can feel like you are rolling or spinning. It is usually brief. Once it hits I know there will be a series of attacks over a period of days or weeks. The simple treatment is immediately chew a standard adult aspirin and then take one aspirin a day for a short period. I tell my patients to do it for 7 or 10 days and then stop. More than one aspirin a day is too much and it actually loses the benefits beyond one.

My bet in your case was Visual Migraine.

cheers, eh wot
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)