AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kids with A.D.D followup, teacher visit.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

milofarmer1
Posted 10/12/2014 14:29 (#4121823)
Subject: Kids with A.D.D followup, teacher visit.

Texas/New Mexico Stateline

I wanted to share what we learned from the teacher at the 6 weeks conference concerning our daughter. Because I had so much great advice and information, both here and privately through email.

Kids with A.D.D? (previous thread)

First of all the teachers were very frustrated with some new teaching materials and standards for 3rd grade from our all wise and powerful great state of Texas' board of education.  They were not happy at all.  And they said a lot of students were struggling this year.  Apparently this new system of sorts is on a "trial basis" which seems really stupid when you are dealing with real children's futures here.  Screw them up in the 3rd grade and they will be struggling the rest of their lives with learning new material.  All because they want to "try" something new.  Argh.

Which they thought was a big part of our girl's problem. 

BUT they did say she definitely has trouble focusing on the lessons, paying attention, reading material and answering questions about it.  She was at the lower portion of the "scoring system" when it comes to reading comprehension.  This is something we are WELL aware of.  And I really think is the root of all the problems when it comes to the other subjects like math and science.  Her teacher had moved her to the front of the room to keep better tabs on her, and prompt her to pay attention. 

They have a system where they are supposed to read books, and take a short test on it on the computers.  The teacher said many of the students pick books that are just a little out of their reading level, don't read them good, then go take a test.  5 questions, they miss two they make a 60%.  They are trying to encourage all the students to pick books more at their level.  But they don't have the time to check all the student's books, every time.  And I understand that.  It should be a way for the kids to learn to be more responsible, and think ahead.  Sounds like the kids are just too eager to grow up and be reading big books.  (sounds like a good problem!)

Teacher has also singled her out with a handful of other students and spending more time later in the day for some remedial work that seemed to be helping some.  They have also changed their homework policy the past couple weeks since my other thread, and if they can do about half the assignment at school and not make mistakes, they don't have to take any homework home.

I think this is great.  Because after an hour and 10 minutes of math every day at school they are burned out.  It also gives them some incentive to concentrate and do a good job so they get out of doing homework later.  (don't know if the long subject period is principal's policy or the state, did not think to ask but is detrimental to learning environment IMHO, suspect it is the all wise and powerful state standard, they have their grubby little fingers in everything)

Neither one [teachers] seemed to think she needed any further evaluation at the moment, and said she was about the middle of the class when it comes to math and her grades.  They thought it would be fine to wait until the semester and see how they were all progressing with the new materials and methods.  It has been told to us many, many times the first semester of 3rd grade is very tough, and most students pull it together by Christmas.

This is a sidebar, but illustrates so well what is wrong with bureaucracies trying to run things.  If the state would provide a selection of learning materials and resources for the smaller schools to utilize, but let them do it as they see fit. Let the local school boards run the local learning pace and environment, we would have a much better system.  It worked for the first 150 years of our country, I don't know why it wouldn't work now. 

The state is pushing through a new "teaching" system, that the teachers were all in agreement they did not like

We can't afford private school, and we do not have the right skill set or ability to do a good job of teaching at home or we would consider doing that instead.  That is not off the table, but we hope the teachers work something out.

We have a very good school.  And it is well known in our area as being one of the best.  And I was very impressed with the teachers' passions and efforts they are making to give a good quality education.  I have no complaints with them at all. 

Sorry this is long, but I thought some might be interested in our tiny little world down here.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)