AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kids with A.D.D followup, teacher visit.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

milofarmer1
Posted 10/12/2014 22:18 (#4122822 - in reply to #4122594)
Subject: RE: Kids with A.D.D followup, teacher visit.

Texas/New Mexico Stateline
Telling my wife to read more to model the behavior is like telling a duck to swim more. She reads........all.........the..........time! Total bookworm. Her parents used to ground her from reading as punishment. Seriously.

I read quite a bit too, but usually in bed at night.

I know daughter wants to read, I've often seen her many times pull out books and look at them, get bookmarks out like she is all grown up and wanting to be like mom. But she doesn't really engage. And she does read well if you tell her to go read a chapter and come back and tell us what happened. -usually, sometimes......she'll have to go back and re-read it a couple times if it is one of those days.

But to tell her to go read for 30 minutes, or to read a paragraph in science class explaining a concept, she won't stay engaged good enough to get the meat of what she read.

We are working on letting her cook in the kitchen by following simple recipes right now. Hoping she will find how important it is to read and comprehend what she is reading or the project will be ruined. Lots of "want to" now, we'll see how it lasts.

Wifey says she has read that using basic home skills like cooking, or crafts like knitting can help kids with attention deficit problems. She has tried simple knitting too, and she lost interest in it after she couldn't do it unsupervised.

Hope this isn't coming out like "pulling our hair out" frustrating, because it isn't.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)