AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic eggs at Hyvee 4.99/dozen and store brand 1.55/dozen
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Mike Shimek
Posted 10/3/2014 06:21 (#4106408 - in reply to #4098811)
Subject: RE: Organic eggs at Hyvee 4.99/dozen and store brand 1.55/dozen

High Springs, Florida

I think the proliferation of fast food drive through's is one of the main contributing factors to obesity in this country. Access to prepared food is very easy now.

Back when I was growing up, the nearest McDonald's was 20 miles away. There was no such thing as pizza delivery. There were no other fast food restaurants around. Just regular diner-coffee shop type places. You had to stop and take the time to get something to eat. Take a break and eat your meal. No rushing though the drive through and wolfing your food down.  And I was skinny as a rail back then!

I know a few people that like to eat organic, and they often lament on how expensive it is. I try and explain how there is no real difference in nutritional value, but most still don't get it.

There are quite noticeable differences in the taste of produce grown on different soil types. For instance, potatoes and tomatoes grown on clay soil, seem to be more flavorful than those grown on sandy soil. I would surmise that those crops grown on sandy soil with a very high organic matter content might see an improvement in flavor. An experiment along those lines might be in order. Genetics also play a big role in the flavor department.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)