AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cull cows
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

puff33m
Posted 9/22/2014 18:13 (#4088020 - in reply to #4087921)
Subject: RE: cull cows

N FLA
Looks like I will be out of money in 3 weeks. So I will have to play the cards I've been dealt. We have had a lot of gotta get me some cow buyers this year. They have backed off recently. Maybe recognized the $ didn't add up at their prices. I'm scared the row croppers will get their insurance checks and head to the market to buy cover crop harvesters. So I'm filling up in this window now. Though I suspect more poor thin cows will roll in October and November.

I've been using the little bit of everything program instead of the focused approach. This week I bought 2 pairs, a 6m, an 8m, and 3 thin open cows. That's actually the same as I bought last week. Probably more consistent money in the heavy bred program. But I have a lot of good feed now and I can actually run these pairs and open cows short term. Hopefully it makes sense to sell in a couple months and buy heavy breds. The feed was free. So we have wormer and an eartag (and risk) invested.

I will be out of money soon, then to sell some cows and calves that need to go. Hopefully I can trade those for bred cows. Here's a pair that needs to go. Mama is big teets and will surely be slaughtered, but she did a fine job this go round.

(IMG_20140921_161736_551-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20140921_161736_551-1.jpg (143KB - 67 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)