AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First, Worst and best combine ever owned.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

45Deere9670
Posted 9/16/2014 07:03 (#4076990 - in reply to #4076729)
Subject: RE: First, Worst and best combine ever owned.

St. Joseph, Champaign County, IL
1st I ever drove was a JD 6600. Had 3 of them over the years.

Worst one I've been around was the IH 1460. We had a 6600 at the same time. Generally used the 6600 in beans, 1460 in corn. The 6600 could be pulled out of storage, greased up, minimal maintenance done (like tightening chains), and run all season. With the 1460 it was always "what was going to break next?" Had the feeder house chain rails start breaking, clean grain cross auger (feeding the elevator) snap in half, rear spindle break right at the hub, and engine ate it's camshaft due to a design change in the head that didn't provide enough oil at startup. Those are the bigger issues I remember. Think there was also one episode of the too light final drives going out that they always had a "new" fix for that never fixed it. Had a bad hydro when it left the farm, had to be pushed onto trailer. The one year I remember using the 1460 in beans, alongside the 6600. I was running the 6600, dad the 1460. The beans had plenty of green stems. I was running a 18' platform taking 7-30" rows. Dad had a 20' platform. I was cutting through the field leaving 7 row strips for dad to use because the 1460 would struggle more then he liked if he was taking 8 rows.

Don't know which one I'd say was best. Haven't had the 9670 long enough, and have had good service from the 6600's, the 9400, and the 9500.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)