AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Finishing faster, small operation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Supa Dexta
Posted 8/29/2014 05:53 (#4044408)
Subject: Finishing faster, small operation

NS Canada
Right now I have a roller mill and bucket feed a handful of feeders, we feed a mix of oats, barley and WBG. It changes weekly on what we have on hand, so first question, does mixing up what they get affect them? Do they do better having the same thing, on the same routine week in and week out? Actually my bin is filled with barley and then with oats at harvest time, so I'll be feeding barley until mid winter, and then the oats. WBG comes in as the small local brewery brews.

We also feed baleage, but this goes better if I have 10 animals feeding out at a time, as they don't finish a bale fast enough otherwise. So if I dont keep enough feeders at one time, on the hot days they eat their grain, and not a lot of silage, then just lay around hardly growing.

Next on my want list is to introduce corn into my feeding program. I can grow it no problem around here, but taking 600-700# to 1100 or so, I can put up another bin for corn, rather then feeding out of a pile easier I think at this point. Should I aim for kernal corn, or corn silage? Should I be aiming for a mixer?

Ideally in my head I would like to be crushing oats or barley and corn, bucket feeding that together and then dropping a silage bale into them.

Just looking for some advice on feeding say 10 at a time, which direction I should head rather then muddling thru different options.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)