AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

denise.r
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 8/29/2014 05:45 (#4044400 - in reply to #4043691)
Subject: RE: craping in feed pan

south east Indiana
That a pleasant image before breakfast LOL
I have had a pyr pee in his dish or someone elses, I assume he was asserting his authority by doing that. Now he gets his kibble in a pile not in a bowl and he is in the pasture so no one to protect his food from :)

A couple questions - how old a dog? is he in a kennel or lose or tied...? if a kennel does he get out to do his thing or does he have to poop in his kennel? How much excessive and mental stimulation is he getting? the two are not the same for a border collie. Do you feed him once a day or twice a day or just fill his bowl?

Generally border collies do not do well tied or in a kennel for the majority of their time. They become a bit stir crazy or depressed. They are such a smart dog when they have all that time to sit and think they shut down. Some bark, some dig, some turn endless circles... It is like trying to leash a 6 yr old or put him in time out for hours at a time. Most dogs will not crap where they live unless they have no choice or were "taught" when young by being kept in a small dirty place. If confined I would not put it past him to have figure out if he craps there you will get rid of faster than if he does it another place. If he is free to go other places it may be a hold over from the way he was raised or he may be insuring no other dog eats his food. If he is pooping alot more than twice a day I would think he may be eating a higher fiber low quality food that goes right thru. Changing food to better quality will up what he can use in the food while decreasing the amount of food fed and the amount of crap pooped out. I only feed what the dog is going to eat in 5 min or 10 min and pick up their bowls. Most dogs do not stay healthy just filling the bowl when it is empty. Mine all get a measured amount that is adjusted to the weather and their condition and work / training. Mine are in outdoor kennels when I work but out in a fenced yard or with me or training or working when I am home. If he might be bored a Large black KONG smeared with peanut butter on the inside will give him something to do or a leg bone from the butcher...
I use stainless steel bowls so they can be washed. It may be just the scent as well so I would either get a new bowl and put it in a different place or bleach that one and put it in a different spot.

Those are my first thoughts without having details. I would be happy to read details and see if anything else comes to mind.

Edited by denice.r 8/29/2014 05:46
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)