AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

denise.r
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 8/29/2014 06:02 (#4044413 - in reply to #4044374)
Subject: RE: denise.r

south east Indiana
Unless you are going to work this dog and want that bloodline or cross there are rescue groups for both those breeds or a local shelter I would think. Not to be harsh but the 3 hour round trip is a small investment to the time it takes to raise a pup. Maybe a different time of year would be better for you to have time available to spend teaching a pup. Getting one is usually the easy part. It is the time taking care of one and training it where the work begins.
I am sure the way most Amish crank out pups she will be bred again in 6 to 8 months. I would not support a breeder unless I checked out their dogs first and how they were cared for. I also would not buy a pup to work unless I KNEW the parents actually worked. All Behavior is far more genetic than you might think, herding even more so.

Not that there are not great mixed breed dogs out there or that they can not work. I have seen some nice ones. That cross some folks like but those breeds can work very differently so is rather unpredicatable how they will turn out. Without going into tons of detail Aussies are more of a healer and close working dog and BCs are a gathering type dog who work quiet and farther away.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)