AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wanting to learn about winter wheat? Double crop soy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 8/28/2014 14:30 (#4043233 - in reply to #4042941)
Subject: RE: Wanting to learn about winter wheat? Double crop soy

Martinsville, Ohio

Fry,

You are talking about raising wheat and double crop beans where it isn't "standard practice."

I live in the Ohio heart of both and it still isn't standard practice because it's so hard to do, it shortens the seasons of both crops.

If I can drill wheat by Oct 1, I can get it up after fly free date here and harvest it by July 1 on a good year.  That has been true most years I have farmed this farm since 2004.  I chase the combine with the drill and can get double crops up in a week, that makes them July beans here which are very late, though there were a few first crop soybean fields planted after mine here this year.

I call wheat my nine month baby, it takes that long to grow a SRWW here.  That makes the next 120 days for soybeans pretty iffy, especially for harvest since it will usually be after November 1.

I have no experience doing what you ask so I will have to pass on that but I won't discourage you, I won't encourage to do more than one field to try, either.

I will try to upload a picture of my double crop soybeans I took today.  The first two are double crops, the second two are May beans planted right beside them and the last picture is my good neighbor who does not use residual herbicide.

Ed Winkle

Edited by Ed Winkle 8/28/2014 14:36

(DSC00614.JPG)

(DSC00615.JPG)

(DSC00617.JPG)

(DSC00619.JPG)

(DSC00620.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC00614.JPG (146KB - 226 downloads)
Attachments DSC00615.JPG (216KB - 225 downloads)
Attachments DSC00617.JPG (144KB - 179 downloads)
Attachments DSC00619.JPG (183KB - 210 downloads)
Attachments DSC00620.JPG (222KB - 191 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)