AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Not that the market cares, but maybe it will...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

00rooster
Posted 7/31/2014 15:26 (#3995122 - in reply to #3995035)
Subject: RE: Not that the market cares, but maybe it will...

Nebraska isn't that bad everywhere. The NC and NE portions of the state have had some rainfall. I just god .75" last friday. This time of year in Nebraska you get a lot of isolated thunderstorms maybe only 30-50 miles wide. Its a matter of getting lucky, and most of the time everybody gets their turn.

With these mild temps I haven't seen a curled leaf or any firing yet(maybe some on light or poor soils). I think everybody keeps underestimating how efficient modern day corn hybrids are with water. This feels like an almost identical year to 2009 to me here. Wet June, and very cool July. I never got any rain in July and August in 2009, but the corn stayed green all summer, and I couldn't believe the yields. We tried to get a soil probe in the ground that year,(in August) and eventually got it down 3'....no detectable moisture in the top 3'. The corn was still green and my dryland average was 175(150 was considered average crop).

That being said, we are also entering the highest water usage/day period, we'll see how it holds up this year, but with mild temps and cool/cold nights you won't believe how long it will hang in. I swear in 2009 it lived on the heavy dews.

That year gave me a new appreciation for how much a corn plant can produce in a limited moisture environment as long as the temps stay cool. THAT IS THE KEY HERE: cool temps If we have two weeks of 95+ with 30mph south winds all bets are off.

Edited by 00rooster 7/31/2014 15:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)