AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody else a picky eater?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Chimel
Posted 7/27/2014 11:47 (#3988184 - in reply to #3988054)
Subject: RE: Anybody else a picky eater?

tomram486 - 7/27/2014 07:55
My mom's liver.

How many times can you have this dish, does your mother self-regenerate her liver? ;)

I can't even afford to be picky, but then I never have been.
Picky eaters either have had a bad cooking experience, or their pickiness was built from childhood.
There have been several studies showing that the younger the kid to which you feed new foods, the more they will grow to like them, it's a matter of education. For instance, the first red meat that young kids eat in France is frequently veal liver, because it is very tender and can be blended with other ingredients, like a vegetable puree or a wheat semolina grit. I don't know many adults who eat liver, you can't even find the stuff in American stores. Admittedly, the words "offal" or "organ meat" do not sound very appetizing, but liver is an organ that concentrates nutrients unlike any other cut. I wouldn't dream of feeding non-organic liver to kids for this very reason though, as it concentrates much more chemicals, heavy metals and probably other stuff, and human liver at the end of the food chain even more so. Not sure if conventional and organic livers contain heavy metals, I don't have any data about it, arsenic is used in conventional for instance, but probably not much on crops used as feed.

Food allergies, sensibility, religious prohibitions, etc. are a different matter, I don't count them as being picky.

By the way, the only ingredient I have left in my pantry to spice up my food is the foul asafoetida. I use it, it's OK when it's cooked, but I can excuse anybody for being picky about the smell of it. An aged Limburger smells like a rose compared to it! ;)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)