AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Please help with soil test----recommendations
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bad farmer
Posted 7/25/2014 08:44 (#3984956 - in reply to #3984629)
Subject: RE: Please help with soil test----recommendations

no welfare payments on this farm!!!!!!!!
i would like to see a soil test of course as others have mentioned. I apply 1000 lbs every three years to every acre i own but not every year. even when I get cal/mg ratios in order it seems to help. I think something that none of the other posters are thinking about the the shelf life of the plant. If you were a lettuce grower you would already be in trouble, with corn you have alot more fogiveness. the higher the sulfates in the plant, the less shelf life you have. you may not think this is important but I know a guy who just kept pouring on gypsum and had 8% moisture beans rot in a bin. even the rotted beans were less then 9% moisture and no one could explain it till we tested the beans themselves and happened to have a lettuce test on the desk. I dont know you cec but lets say its 10 or less and you continue doing this for a couple more years at 1000 lbs per year and then lets say your drying corn and get behind or something gets rushed during harvest and somehow you have a bin with borderline moisture corn in a bin, and then you get that winter storm or you want to head to arizona, that is when your going to wish you wouldnt have put on that much gypsum. yeh I know thats alot to go wrong, but i would just not set myself up for that worry. Its just something to think about and if all else fails use the post for your garden. Good luck
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)