AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

We need YOU
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 7/23/2014 08:03 (#3981813 - in reply to #3981639)
Subject: RE: What is your problem

West Union, Illinois

I think Vincent is just showing how different things are seen and handled in different areas. He brings up valid points.  Each state, even in the same state, does things a bit differently.  I remember reading about subscription departments letting houses burn because the owner by choice or by location did not belong to their service.  My guys and gals cannot imagine that.

Politics in emergency services?  The local die hard Democrats and Republicans would both drag out a rope and string us up if we let politics have any influence.

Living in a community with little local employment changes how volunteer operations works.  We know that at any given moment 3/4 of our roster may be out of town.  It changes how you handle situations.  We cross train everyone as much as possible because we cannot dedicate one person to just one job.  They may be better at something than others but have to be able to do anything. We don't have specialty teams.  To be honest by the time we get a call, respond, and get on scene going in side is rarely an option.  We rarely lose a basement.  We're also doing as good as any one can.

Large diameter hose?  Our bigger concern is getting water on scene.  CAFS? I LOVE the idea.  Yes, CAFS would help with the first problem and am looking onto the possibility for us.  We have dry hydrants. To be honest they don't do a thing for us except make it look better for ISO.  Residential sprinklers ...  lowering speed limits at intersections ... snow fence ... you're just in a different world than we work in.

My guess is that those of you who don't get my perspective are fat, tobacco and beer sucking, hangers on who live in fire themed clothing but refuse to learn where the water goes into the engine while losing money selling cans of pop for a dollar fifty each.
The truth is you can find those anyplace. Get around some young gung-ho's and you'll find they probably think similar about you ;)

Edited by Mike SE IL 7/23/2014 08:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)