AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can you weld chain links?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 12/9/2013 07:25 (#3503499 - in reply to #3502931)
Subject: Re: Can you weld chain links?

Ron, Ron, I think others have answered your question about welding a chain links to flat steel. Here's another thought on your idea. I'm taking you are wanting to do this to tractors you are hauling for show or oulling. If so, I wouldn't want a hook flopping around on the end of a short piece of chain bolted to the tractor frame. I realize it won't flop while hauling but what about while operating it, show as at plow days or even just on the show grounds? It's eventually goingto chip some of the paint off or ding a piece of metal. I doubt if you want that. What we did on our 1206 was to make heavy piece of flat metal, drill holes to match bolt holes in the frame and make it long enough to drop below the frame. Then we drilled a hole in the bottom big enough to allow the screw pin from an appropriate sized clevis that will allow the chain hook to go thru. That way theres no scrathinh the paint froma flopping hook or having to put a rag around the frame when securing the tractor to the trailer. plus have a handy attach point. We leave the clevis attached to the plate but could be removed if so desired. I've seen a lot of tractors at tractor shows done the same way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)