AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need to make a PTO power source.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

havin'funfarming
Posted 12/5/2013 12:00 (#3493203)
Subject: Need to make a PTO power source.

Manitoba, Canada
I am trying to figure out the best way for me to make a PTO power source. The reason I am inquiring is I had an old Case 2470 on a trailor TMR mixer that just blew the engine. There is a small steel oil line from the block to the injection pump and one end of the line came out. It was held in there by a rubber compression grommet (or whatever it's called) and it appears that it got old and hard enough that it let go of the steel line and the line got pushed out and it lost all the oil. I was nearby and heard the tractor start to sound different and raced back to it and shut it down. When I realized what had happened I put the line back together and dropped a couple of gallons of oil in to see if I could actually be that lucky. I was not. It started up but made a tick once in a while and after about 15 seconds seased up. Maybe I did the wrong thing by trying to start it up instead of taking it apart first but I had already made up my mind to not put too much more money into it so was just kind of crossing my fingers. While a good old tractor it was just too hard to work on. I suspect that I spun a bearing on the crank. I am told the chances that just doing the bottom end bearings will get it into running shape again are very slim. Anyways, I am now forced to find another power source. The plan I had come up with over the last year for when this event happened was to find a cheap/wrecked semi and use the engine and trans to make a power source using a jackshaft to reverse the direction of rotation. Yesterday I thought of the idea of using the PTO drop box off the old 2470 Case. The drop box changes rotation and the ratio seems to be just slightly over 2:1 so around 2100 RPM input would get me to 1000 PTO speed. So basically full engine RPM input. The power is suppied to the box by a driveshaft so it should be easy to make that work. What are my options? Engine/clutch with some sort of stub shaft for an output? Engine/transmission and make up a driveshaft between them? More than I would like to spend but I did come across a 7.8Duramax/allison auto transmission in a wrecked truck. Would that work? Could I use cruise control to set engine RPM? Are the 7.8 Duramax good? I would like at least 200 hp so what engine should I look for? Maybe simpler is better. How good would a truck engine maintain a set speed? They must have different governors? Is it easy/cheap to change the way the engine is governed? If not maybe just using a large engine like a detroit 60 is the answer as it could twist the driveshaft and not break a sweat. If using a large engine do any of the semi transmissions actually have overdrive ratios? Just thinking of fuel economy on a massively oversized engine. Sorry for the long post but any and all ideas are welcome. TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)