AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover Crop Help- Dakon Radish
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 7/13/2013 13:38 (#3206135 - in reply to #3206092)
Subject: RE: Cover Crop Help- Dakon Radish

Thumb of Michigan
The more accurate method of seeding, the better. I'd opt for the air seeder first if thats what you have. For sure, plant them in narrow rows UNLESS you have a companion crop going in as well. Oats maybe? I'm sure there's many options for a companion crop that fits your environment if you feel you need one. We planted them alone after wheat harvest, but only then because that was when the window of opportunity was open. In your case, I'd make sure that I had a clean weed free seedbed and plant them anytime now. They may or may not bolt in the fall, but I've never seen that to be a huge issue. We always simply no tilled into the residue the following year, never had an issue doing so. The leaves and the roots melt away pretty significantly. 8-10 #'s will yield a larger radish than I'm used to dealing with as we shot for 12#+ of a relatively smaller variety of OSR. In your blacker ground, you should be OK at 8-10# IMHO.

You didn't mention what your rotations are, but I WOULD NOT plant Daikon if you have sugar beets in the rotation without speaking with the company agronomist first. At minimum. If you've had history of sugar beet cyst nematodes, and intend to plant beets in the future, Daikon can make the problem worse.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)