AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Custom harvesters with stripper header...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 7/14/2013 06:57 (#3207180 - in reply to #3206854)
Subject: Re: Custom harvesters with stripper header...

My opinion for whatever it's worth is that the further south you are, the more likely you are to have problems. The longer the wheat has to decay between wheat harvest and corn planting, the worse off you will be in that regard. Last spring (2012) we had 100 mph straight line winds and it really got rid of all our wheat residue that was cut with a stripper header. I feel like the straight header cut fields I saw fared better, but they had problems as well.

The worst situation is when you plant or drill and then it gets windy immediately after.

I think the biggest thing the stripper header has going for it is the persistence and distribution of residue. The fewer pieces there are, the longer it will last (as long as it's not blown away). Also, the combine does not have to have a good straw spreading system because no straw goes through the machine. Even residue distribution means a better stand on subsequent crops if you're a no-till guy.

There are pluses and minuses but we've been doing it since 2009 I believe and intend to hang in there with it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)