AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What a difference 36 hours makes (Pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

No soil disturbance
Posted 5/2/2013 15:32 (#3076004 - in reply to #3075196)
Subject: Re: What a difference 36 hours makes (Pics)

Gerard- We initially were going to do that, just run the planter through the tractor armrest display. I don't remember exactly why we didn't. I know we initially did that, but eventually we just put on another display. James - We can apply as much Urea as we are willing to refill, :). Depending on the field, we just took over a new field to us and it is lacking in Nitrogen bad, so we are going to variable rate an average of 150 pounds throughout the field. I think we will go as high as 200 and as low as 25. Right now we are running Green Rollers in both the front and back so with Urea we could run from about 25 to 225 or so. I am not sure without looking in the book. I know last year our MESZ variable rating was running from 0-265 pounds. Right now with the drought we are going to run most of our fields 45 pounds of mesz and 75 pounds of Urea. At 75 pounds of urea we can do almost exactly 160 acres when we fill up the back tank. Likewise with 45 pounds of MESZ we can do about 300 acres before filling up when we fill up the front tank. We are using great plains towers, I believe they come off of their air-seeders. We ordered them through our Case-IH dealer. We have to replace the disturbers on top because they are made for an 8 run tower when we get them. We turn them into a 3 run tower and there are other guys doing the same thing we are so a local welding shop makes the distributor tops for us.

Milofarmer1- We have so far been able to stay 100% no-till through the drought, for the most part wind erosion has not been a problem. Last year however, we did have a fluke storm, kick up out of the blue and hit us hard with 82+ mph winds with no moisture. It lasted about an hour or two and it wreaked havoc on our newly drilled millet ground and some of our planted corn. Luckily it wasn't a real wide strip and so it didn't get all of our fields. As far as the windy days that have sustained winds of 50+ we have not had to go and chisel any ground. We do not fallow and drilled hardly any wheat this year about 5-10% of our historical average. Those two things in our part of the world if hit during the wrong time was a good recipe for wind erosion and lots of it. Last fall there was a windy day that had winds running 60+ for a good chunk of the day and it destroyed more chem fallowed newly drilled no-till wheat fields than I have seen in a long time. Now, we did choose to vertical till some sunflower stalks going to millet (first tillage of any kind done on our farm in about 10-15+ years) and so far they have held very well against the wind, after drilling them though if we get a really nasty day it could blow (but again a nasty day even after no-till drilled will blow just as bad or worse). Likewise if it doesn't rain for another month and we get all of our corn planted and we got a nasty wind, wind erosion will be a problem. We are fortunate that we have not been as dry as you guys when some of you have had 2-3+ years of drought, '11 was not wet but we still had an average-good year for us. So really we have only been in a drought for about 1 whole year. It's year two that things can get really ugly it seems. I'm hoping we aren't going to experience that this year.

Edited by No soil disturbance 5/2/2013 15:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)