AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

falling # in wheat questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

okpanhandle
Posted 1/14/2013 18:22 (#2822499 - in reply to #2822378)
Subject: Re: falling # in wheat questions

Guymon, OK
Falling number is how they test for sprout damage. Basically, when a seed begins to germinate an enzyme called alpha-amylase starts to convert the starch in the endosperm to sugar. To test for it, a sample of grain is ground into flour, then mixed with water in a test tube. After some stirring, the stirring rod is dropped into the tube, and timed for how long it takes to reach the bottom; the falling number being the number of seconds it takes. Unsprouted grain will be more viscous (higher falling number), and spouted grain will be less viscous (lower falling number).

The only time falling number has been important in my part of the world is when we grew white wheat for a few years, since it's much more likely to sprout in the head than red wheat. We're so hot and dry during harvest that sprouting isn't normally an issue. Downstate, sprouting can be more of a problem if they get a wet period during harvest. I can't remember what the cutoff was when we grew white wheat, but I think it was around 350, or perhaps 330. Anything less was rejected.

Edited by okpanhandle 1/14/2013 18:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)