AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I need a new computer but
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Chimel
Posted 1/13/2013 05:02 (#2818553 - in reply to #2817968)
Subject: Re: I need a new computer but

Too few computers have SSDs or come with a SSD option even today, that's bad.
Most will come close to your specs though, so what you could do is buy one with a hard drive, install a SSD yourself on top and use the hard drive for internal or even external (with an adapter) backup. You need a backup system anyway. If you already have one, replace your old backup drive with the new one, it will extend its life.

The drawback is that a SSD or Windows 7 if it has Windows 8 will void the warranty. Most problems with a computer will show up right upfront or after running a thorough burn-in test on the hard drive with the tools provided by the manufacturers, so that's what I would do if I were to buy a ready-made computer, and add the SSD and Windows 7 only after the burn-in, if it was successful.

I wouldn't buy anything at Walmart though, but that's just me. I am 99% sure that their third-party brand products like Asus are cheaper versions of the real thing. Like one USB connector less to save 50 cents or this kind of thing.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you can't use disk duplication software between a hard drive and a SSD, you need to install Windows 7 normally on the SSD so it can be recognized as such. Any driver needed will show up via Windows Update or you can download them from the manufacturer's website as usual.

Edited by Chimel 1/13/2013 05:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)