AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No tilling oats or something
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NoTill1825
Posted 11/29/2012 14:08 (#2723505 - in reply to #2723476)
Subject: RE: No tilling oats or something

NC Indiana
If you have moisture and could get rye on it yet this week, I'd try it. You may not see it till green up, but it will still grow, my experience here. If your not quite that daring, then an oat or oat/pea mix would work in the spring. I would follow that with either silage corn or sorghum-sudan or a warm/cool season forage/cover crop mix, depending on when you got it off and what equipment you have around you and where you stand on pasture at that time.

Guy that makes our hay seeded oats, peas, clover, etc after potatoes in late August and made baleage out of that mix the begining of November. Made just over 10 3x3x7's per ac.

I no-till oats this summer on some ground we had rye seeded for spring hay and kept for pasture due to the drought. They came on fine, but could have used 30 or so lbs of N to make them better. I did have to double the speed of the seeder to get 2 bu on vs planting wheat or rye at 1:1. I've had volunteer wheat make 2 round bales/ac in the fall and 6-7 3x3x7's/ac already in the spring for baleage.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)