AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DOT or not. Crossing into SD
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

redline
Posted 11/27/2012 15:26 (#2719827 - in reply to #2719227)
Subject: Re: DOT or not. Crossing into SD

Central Iowa
I sure wish the states would all get together and make a system that is simple. Every state government and governor have the mantra, "increase trade, increase trade!", and then put laws in place to make it difficult for neighboring small businesses to do business within their borders. I understand the need for fuel tax to maintain highways, but I doubt any state is really coming out ahead on that deal anyway. With fuel purchases made by everyone, and where they are needing fuel, the taxes collected should average out to about where your truck traffic is in relationship to other states. I would like to make purchases and sales in other states, but hiring someone else to haul it makes it prohibitive. I have a safe truck and I am a responsible driver, but I don't need the headaches of extra paperwork. So those states miss out on my business, and any fuel or other sales tax I might have paid. Penny wise and pound foolish?
Is it more complicated in Europe to have paperwork in order to cross the borders of countries? I really don't know, and I am curious. I doubt if the required paperwork and permits for US trucks to enter Canada is all that much more complicated than state to state. It is probably more closely watched, though.
I will step down from my soap box now. I don't suppose anything will ever change, but I feel better.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)