AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Moving a gooseneck cattle trailer with the tractor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

tjdub
Posted 11/17/2012 00:15 (#2701527)
Subject: Moving a gooseneck cattle trailer with the tractor

Last week we got some rain, then the frost went in, then it came back out right when I was trying to get a load of cull cows out of my yard. I didn't have anyone around to help so I had to hook and unhook the tractor and the truck about 5 times to get out of that jam. It seems like I've spent way to much time pulling the truck and trailer around over the years or dealing with tire chains on the truck when it's ice instead of mud. I've decided I'm going to find a way to just pull the trailer around with the tractor.

My first thought was, "that's easy!", I'll just put a 2 5/16" ball on the top my my loader bucket (JD 260 loader). Now I'm thinking that's probably going to get me laughed at (all the way to the bank) while I'm getting my loader welded back together. It would be no problem with an empty trailer, but I'm thinking any sideways force will probably rip the loader apart if there's cattle in there.

I see there are fairly cheap 3pt setups (that mount into a 3pt drawbar) on ebay, but it looks like the gooseneck ball would be right at the 3pt toplink so that probably wouldn't give very good turning clearance unless you're going in a straight line? I'm thinking the proper solution is to just get a proper 3pt hitch fabricated with the ball set back a couple of feet, but then that'll probably get expensive.

Has anyone done something similar?

Edited by tjdub 11/17/2012 00:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)