AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help with a troublesome farm...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bleedred
Posted 11/11/2012 17:24 (#2691326)
Subject: Help with a troublesome farm...

East Central Ia
I have a farm that is primarily Fayette Silt Loam, and Fayette Silty Clay Loam soils. Its HEL (some C and D slopes) ground that we have to be careful with. Problem is we have been no tilling it for 10+ years and we are seeing some severe nutrient stratification that needs addressed. It also takes a fair amount of upkeep with some wash outs. We got a nice 3" pounding rain the day after we planted it this year and it has some severe washouts...

We have are planning to do some major work on this farm in the next year or two to get it reshaped and hopefully quit the erosion. The main draw needs reshaped so we are going to use a scraper and reshape it while hauling the soil back up to the eroded spots. We did this on part of the farm last fall and it really helped it!

My problem is that we have been putting in some tile the last couple years and I can't believe how hard the ground is! While tiling the top 4-6" came up very chunky.

We are going to chisel the farm this fall in hopes of mixing the fertilizer more thoroughly through the profile and to help break up this hard chunky layer.

Is there anything I can do to help keep this soil from getting so tight? Would a cover crop help this farm?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)