AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

question for Jim at dawn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/12/2012 10:48 (#2692764 - in reply to #2692547)
Subject: Re: question for Jim at dawn?

Driftless SW Wisconsin

One concern I have is that as the WI weather gets into winter that the cows may congregate on the concrete under the eaves all day and not go to the woods for shelter.

As it is with my cradle feeders now they come down to the hay a couple times a day then trudge back through the snow to the woods to get out of the wind, spreading manure as they go. I wonder if those outside concrete aprons under the eaves won't build up with frozen manure that they will lie down on much of the winter? As it is now they move around to different protected spots in the woods for their winter siestas.

Maybe I will keep the eave overhang pretty short. Have to think about it over the winter.

I like the idea of the bales sitting on concrete.

We are thinking alike on the hay storage building.  Wrapping the last 1/3-1/2 of my bales works well, especially now that I don't try to wrap them all as they come off the trailer. Just takes too long slowing the whole bale moving process.  As dry as it has been, very little change if I wrap them later. May be different in a very wet summer but I'll try to get them wrapped earlier. Would be a welcome problem to have and not be feeding hay in July...

Jim

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)