AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Welding judges please
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

exit
Posted 10/21/2012 17:45 (#2653268 - in reply to #2653148)
Subject: Re: Welding judges please

Athens, Ga
Alberta Farmer - 10/21/2012 15:54

It didn't cost much, so trial and error is not so hard to swallow when welding something like that. I won't critique your welding skills, lots of that already on here, and pretty does not equal holding. I used to work with a bunch of professional welders, so I know all about critiquing. I have found that the end result(holding) is what matters, not the looks.
I would suggest that one shouldn't weld vertically all the way across on a member such as that which has stress in the same direction. Better to weld only along the horizontal, ideally right at the corners, not in the middle of the beam. if that isn't an option, then cut your patch on a long angle so the weld isn't right across the beam.

I agree with all the other posters about 6011 rod. It doesn't make the prettiest weld, but it will penetrate anything, rust, paint, dust, dirt... Weld at any angle, doesn't mind being wet, and has little flux to fight with when you are working in compromising angles or corners. With enough heat, I'll use 6011 to cut the groove and weld it in at the same time, not recommended of course, but it works. A lot of farmers like 7014, and with enough heat, it will do a decent job, and it makes anyone look like a professional, but it needs a cleaner surface, and doesn't penetrate nearly like 6011 will. IF you have good clean conditions and enough amperage, plus dry rod, 7018 is the best thing going, but those conditions don't always happen on the farm. 7018 will work fine with an AC welder, but is easier with DC for sure.

Only thing I will add to this is drill a hole at the end of the crack and fill it in. For something critical I will weld the V with a 6011, then when welding the plate use a 6011 on the first pass the cap it with a 7018.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)